Community Development is a division of the Regional Planning Department. The Community Development Division coordinates grant management for local, state and federal grants, including Community Development Block Grants (CDBG).
Division responsibilities include:
- Providing grant administration and reporting for State, Federal and community grants for the City and Community Development
- Maintaining certified Grant Administrator status required for Nebraska Department of Economic Development grants
- Serving as a CDBG grant resource
- Facilitating service referrals to other community agencies
- Preparing and Administering Consolidated Plan and Annual Action Plan for CDBG funding.
- Serving as City liaison to a variety of non-profit agencies and other community groups working to enhance community development
- Managing and reporting economic development and non-economic development program re-use funds
- Monitoring grantees and meeting multiple grant related requirements
Public Service Grant
The City of Grand Island uses a competitive application process to make a portion of its
CDBG funds available to non-profit groups in the form of public service grants. Federal
regulations state that eligible public service activities include, but are not limited to,
programs concerned with housing, employment, crime prevention, child care, drug
abuse prevention, education, health, welfare, or recreation. The City of Grand Island seeks
to fund programs that will help meet the community needs identified in the City of
Grand Island’s 2016-2019 Consolidated Plan.
The City of Grand Island would like to announce the 2017-2018 Public Service Grant recipient. The Multicultural Coalition of Grand Island, this organization intends to use funding from not only the Public Service Grant but others sources as well, in order to create an Immigration Services Program to create an impact within the community of Grand Island.