Construction has started on a project of renovation of library spaces to dynamically improve the lives of our community's children and families, our middle and high schoolers, and our entire community.
This renovation will result in expansion of library services that better engage each person’s capacity and craving for lifetime learning and literacy. This will be accomplished through three main goals:
- Increased and safer access to the library through improved parking and plaza area as well as an outdoor children’s discovery area
- Increased community gathering opportunities and library programming offerings through improved meeting and study spaces
- Increased educational opportunities and school-system support through improved teen spaces and hands-on STEM-based makerspaces for children, teens, entrepreneurs and the general public
Our public library’s mission is to be the gateway for the people of our diverse community to achieve a lifetime of learning and literacy. Serving both Grand Island and surrounding Hall County, the Grand Island Public Library plays an important role in the lives of the large and diverse group of people who use its services. Literacy skills, child and youth programming, community outreach, informational programming and access to technology are each an important part of what the Grand Island Public Library has to offer its more than 40,000 card-holders and other library visitors.
At the Grand Island Public Library, books share space with other technologies on our physical and electronic shelves. Using our library means more than checking out books and other materials, but also lifelong learning through increasingly interactive, hands-on and high-tech methods, literacy in a variety of forms including digital literacy, and community gathering through dynamic and specialized spaces, library programs, public meetings, and informal "meet-ups".
The Grand Island Public Library has been responding to community needs for learning and literacy since 1884. Currently, our library's GILIBRARY 2000 strategic plan works in concert with our community Grow Grand Island initiative that involves hundreds of participants and a multi-year response to community needs. As participants in that process the library has been attentive to the changing needs of library users as they relate to several broader community needs expressed in the Grow Grand Island initiative.
- enhancing existing and potential future entrepreneurs
- optimizing career pathways and programs offered in area schools
- supporting the development of arts and humanities
- providing support for the region’s most vulnerable populations
- enhancing cultural engagement & understanding