STREET / LANE CLOSURES WITHIN THE CITY OF GRAND ISLAND
Last Updated 8/18/2017 9:00 am
2017 ASPHALT RESURFACING PROJECT
City of Grand Island’s Annual Resurfacing Project will begin on July 19, 2017 and include the following segments of roadway:
- Capital Avenue – Locust Street to Sky Park Road
- North Road – Husker Highway to Stolley Park Road
- Wildwood Drive – US Highway 281 to Locust Street
- Shady Bend Road – BNSF Railroad to Gregory Street
Capital Avenue, North Road & Wildwood Drive will be resurfaced under flagging operations. Expect Delays. Shady Bend Road will be resurfaced under roadway closure with signed detour. Asphalt paving operations are anticipated to be complete by August 4, 2017. Shouldering and seeding will follow and scheduled to be completed in August 2017.
BROADWELL AVENUE/ HWY 281/ AIRPORT RD
- Weather permitting, concrete pavement replacement, patching and bridge repair work will continue on US-281 in the Grand Island area with a traffic crossover switch beginning July 12, 2017 according to the Nebraska Department of Transportation.
During the work, southbound traffic on US-281 north of Grand Island will be crossed over into the northbound lanes. The crossover will begin just south of Chapman Road and end south of Broadwell Avenue. At the intersection of Broadwell Ave/Hwy 281/Airport Rd, trucks will be restricted from turning left or right due lack of turning radius width.
The Department of Transportation project manager is Bob Nordhues of Grand Island. Motorists are asked to drive safely near construction work and along detour routes.
Contact: Bob Nordhues, Project Manager, 308-385-6888, Ext. 104
EDDY STREET UNDERPASS PEDESTRIAN WALKWAY CLOSURE
- The west pedestrian walkway of the Eddy Street underpass will be closed beginning Monday, July 31, 2017 and last approximately three (3) weeks. The walkway is closed for reconstruction of the north entrance to meet ADA requirements and separate the walkway from the driving path of the grain elevator bridge.
EAGLE SCOUT PARK
- The City of Grand Island will be constructing drainage improvements at the entrance to Eagle Scout Park from August 7, 2017 through approximately August 18, 2017. Vehicle access will not be allowed during this time. The park will be open to pedestrians via the trail head parking area off US Highway 281.
- Side streets along Faidley Avenue, between Custer Avenue and Broadwell Avenue, will be closed periodically through August 18, 2017 in connection with the annual curb ramp project.
- James Road will be closed north from Husker Highway to the entrance at Riverbend Apartments to allow for sanitary sewer construction in the area. This closure is anticipated to last through September 11, 2017.
- Louise Street, just west of Ingalls Street, will be closed August 8, 2017 through approximately August 15, 2017 to allow for water service repair/installation. The parking area on the north side of Louise Street will remain closed until approximately August 29, 2017.
NORTH FRONT STREET
- The eastbound lane of North Front Street near Jefferson Street will be closed until approximately August 23, 2017 to allow for repair of a sanitary sewer main.
SANITARY SEWER CLEANING / TELEVISING LOCATIONS
- This section will be updated periodically, as the crews move throughout various parts of the City. Work in these locations will consist of flushing & root foaming sanitary sewer lines, as well as televising lines for a current pipe condition. Please use caution in these work zones.
- Crew 1 - Flushing in various areas of the City
SHADY BEND ROAD
- Shady Bend Road will be closed from Seedling Mile Road to US Highway 30 for drainage improvements from July 31, 2017 through approximately September 1, 2017. Shady Bend Road traffic will be detoured and local traffic will have access through the work zone.
VETERANS ATHLETIC COMPLEX
- Drainage improvements will be constructed at the entrance to the Veterans Athletic Complex from July 27, 2017 through approximately September 1, 2017. One driveway will be open at all times into the complex.
- Vine Street will be closed from 15th Street to 17th Street until approximately August 18, 2017 to allow for water main installation.