A building permit is required to ensure that projects meet minimum standards for safety and health purposes. Unsafe building conditions can lead to potentially disastrous effects.
The following work requires a building permit:
- Shingling, siding and all new construction including additions, enclosing porches and garages.
- Repairs when structural members are involved, or which enlarge or change location of openings.
- Interior remodeling when alterations require removal of walls or wall coverings, or adding new rooms such as basement finishing.
- Installation of fireplaces or other wood burning appliances.
- Decks over 30 inches above grade.
- Patio covers and carports.
- Accessory building over 120 square feet.
- Signs to be erected, re-erected, moved, or altered, including mobile signs.
- Moving or wrecking buildings.
- If repairs have a valuation which exceeds $500 - check with the Building Department.
- Flat concrete work on private property - check with the Building Department.
- Accessory buildings not exceeding 120 square feet.
- Fences not over 8-feet in height.
- Decks not over 30-inches above grade and not over any basement or story below.
- Painting, papering, or similar finish work.
- Window awning supported by an exterior wall of residential occupancy when not projecting more than 54-inches.
- Replacement of uncovered porches under 60 square feet.
- Installation of storm windows or roof gutters.
- Repairs not exceeding a valuation of $500 – check with the Building Department.
- Replacement of existing kitchen cabinets which do not alter existing plumbing, electrical, or structural elements.
Permits are required for installation of all new electrical wiring, lighting fixtures, receptacles, electrical services and rewiring. You do not need an electrical permit to replace existing lighting fixtures, switches, and receptacles, or to complete minor repairs to electrical wiring and service.
- All new construction including additions.
- New or replacement of water heaters, furnaces, sewers and water services.
- Installation of backflow preventers, lawn sprinkler systems, water softeners, and reverse osmosis units.