The City of Grand Island conducts semi-annual testing for entry level Police Officer positions within the Grand Island Police Department. The testing typically occurs every spring and fall. Interested individuals are encouraged to complete a Job Notification to be advised when the application process is open for this position.
Applicants must be a citizen of the United States and be at least 21 years of age. Applicants must have a minimum of a high school education or equivalent and not have any felony or domestic violence convictions. Applicants must be able to read and write the English language.
1. Applicant must complete the on-line application form.
2. Applicant must furnish:
i) a copy of his/her birth certificate
ii) a copy of his/her high school diploma or GED
iii) a copy of military discharge papers (DD214 - Member 4) if applicant has served in a time of war or in any expedition of the Armed Forces of the United States and has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States, including the Army, Navy and Marine Corps.
*** ATTACHMENTS MUST BE INCLUDED AT THE TIME APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED ***
1. Applicants must pass a physical fitness test. The physical fitness test consists of successful a mile and a half run in 13 minutes 45 second for men and 16 minutes 45 seconds for women. Upon successful completion of mile and a half run application must successfully negotiate a 5’ platform obstacle.
2. Applicants must pass a standardized written exam(s) with a score of 70.00% or higher.
3. Applicants must pass an oral interview - qualifications for oral interviews shall be determined by the City.
4. The final score is determined by the composite score of the written exam(s) and the oral interviews and must be a score of 70.00% or higher.
1. After the examination process is complete, the Civil Service Commission will meet to establish an eligibility list. The eligibility list is a ranking of candidates from high to low based upon scores achieved on the examination process.
2. Applicants on the eligibility list must successfully pass a background interview and background check completed by the Police Department staff.
3. Applicants who successfully complete the background checks will be certified by the Civil Service Commission for employment consideration as vacancies occur. Appointments will be made from the list of certified candidates. Certified candidates not appointed will be returned to the eligibility list for a period of approximately six months.
4. A Personnel Board will interview candidates.
5. A conditional offer of employment will be extended, subject to the satisfactory completion of a pre-hire physical examination by a medical doctor and a registered physical therapist, satisfactory completion of a drug screening, a polygraph exam and a psychological evaluation. Examinations and screenings are paid for by the City.
6. Candidates must be accepted by the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center (NLETC).
7. Candidates must possess/obtain and maintain a valid Nebraska Operator's License.