The purpose of the Accessible Sidewalk Curb Ramp Improvements project is to reconstruct curb ramps and make them accessible for persons with disabilities. The project allowed for upgrades to comply with current Americans with Disabilities Act standards. These upgrades are included as a routine part of roadway reconstruction and resurfacing projects where curbs and sidewalks already exist.
Locations for improvements included:
- Oak Street @ Koenig Street, Hansen Street, Yund Street, Division Street
- State Street @ Lafayette Avenue, Grand Island Avenue, Huston Avenue
- Lincoln Avenue @ Division Street, 1st Street, North Front Street, 4th Street
- Koenig Street @ Washington Street, Adams Street, Jefferson Street, Madison Street, Monroe Street
- Gates School area - Louise Street / Ingalls Street, Louise Street / Curtis Street, John Street / Garland Street
- 10th Street @ Washington Street
- 13th Street @ Ruby Avenue, Custer Avenue, Sherman Place, Newell School Crossing
The Diamond Engineering Co. of Grand Island, Nebraska was awarded the $197,706.81 construction contract on April 14, 2015, with project completion on October 30, 2015 in the total amount of $203,905.26.