The Nebraska Department of Roads intends to improve a portion of State US Highway 281 within the City limits of Grand Island. Total cost of work within City limits is currently estimated to be $10,597,500, with an estimate of City cost at $3,822,000, however the actual cost is subject to change as the details of design are further developed.
Improvements will consist of:
- Concrete pavement removal, reconstruction, repairs, and crack & joint sealing
- Sidewalk & curb ramps
- Storm Sewer
- Adjusting manholes
- Trench widening
- Granular subdrains
- Bridge joint repairs, deck resurfacing, and pier sealing
- Permanent pavement markings
As part of this project the City has requested the following work be included:
- Additional lighting on US Highway 281
- Lighting and resurfacing on N Broadwell Avenue
- Increase left turn lanes offsets on northbound US Highway 281 at the intersections with Old Potash Highway, Faidley Avenue, 13th Street and State Street; as well as on southbound US Highway 281 at the intersection with Old Potash Highway
Construction on this project is anticipated to begin April 2018 and be complete the last week in November 2018.