CONSTRUCTION SITE STORMWATER MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
Information for Developers and Builders Operating in Grand Island, Nebraska
Municipal/State erosion and sediment control permit requirements for land disturbance activities equal to or greater than one acre, OR for land disturbance activities less than one acre that are part of a larger common development.
On December 15, 2009 the Stormwater Management Ordinance which targets to improve water quality in our local waterways was adopted by City Council. The Stormwater Ordinance can be found under Chapter 40 of the Municipal Code. The adoption of this ordinance came as a requirement of the City's Stormwater Discharge Permit issued by the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality (NDEQ). As a designated Phase II municipality, one of the areas required to be overseen by the City is construction site stormwater management which will be adapted in mid 2010.
The adopted Stormwater Ordinance requires all developers and builders to obtain an NDEQ Stormwater Permit and an Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) plan for all land disturbance activities equal to or greater than one acre, or for land disturbance activities less than one acre that are part of a larger common development. Failure to obtain permits/plans for applicable projects will result in non-compliance at federal, state and local governments. It is the City's goal to implement the Stormwater Management Plan without delaying the construction throughout Grand Island. Developers and Builders should therefore plan ahead when preparing permits taht may require an associated ESC plan. Please refer to the documents below for information on the ESC plan application requirements.
State Issued Permits and Documents
- NPDES Construction Permit (small lot coverage determination)
- NPDES General Construction Permit NER 160000
- NPDES General Construction Permit NER 160000 Attachments
- NPDES Construction Ordinance Summary
- City of Grand Island Phase II MS4 Permit NER310000 Final
- City of Grand Island Phase II MS4 Permit NER310000 fact sheet
- City of Grand Island Phase II MS4 Permit NER310000_attachments
- MS4 Appendix A 2016 NPDES Standard Conditions
Individual Site Development Documents
- Instructions for completing the individual lot Notice of Intent (NOI) form for coverage under the Federal Clean Water Act
- Individual lot Notice of Intent and SWPPP
- Less than 1 Acre Individual Lot Site Plans
- Stormwater & Construction Flow Chart
- NPDES Construction Information Session Powerpoint - March 18, 2010