- Title: PEG (Public Educational Governmental) Station Operating Policies for Grand Island Television (GITV)
By Authority: City Administrator
Contact: Public Information Officer
Effective Date: November 12, 2010, last revision October 2016
Grand Island Television has been serving the residents of Grand Island since 1993. Grand Island Television can be viewed on Charter Cable Channels 180 and 187 and digital over-the-air Channel 50.1. A franchise agreement was first established between the City of Grand Island and TCI Cable Television in 1992. Today the franchise agreement is held between the City of Grand Island and Charter Communications.
- The primary purpose of Grand Island Television is to provide informational programming related to the structure and workings of local Grand Island City government such as City Council meetings, new or revised laws or ordinances, administrative procedures, civic improvement projects, educational issues and other related matters. In addition, Grand Island Television shall act as a source of information during local emergencies.
- Grand Island Television may also provide programming related to other government agencies and entities within the community.
- Grand Island Television may also serve as a source of information providing residents with informational programming which will contribute to the viewers’ understanding about civic affairs, community events, health matters, and social issues, cultural, educational, and recreational opportunities.
- The use of the Grand Island Television channels, studio and facilities, and equipment is reserved solely for informational and educational programming created by the City of Grand Island governmental designated entity(ies) and staff to fulfill the purpose of a Public Educational Governmental station.Grand Island Television is not a governmental access station; therefore it does not allow public use of its channels, studio and facilities, or equipment.