GITV channels are not intended as a political or campaign forum, or as a mechanism for building support for particular policy, program or issue.
Programming may include:
- Live Grand Island City Council meetings and Citizen Review Committee meetings.
- Replay telecasts of city council meetings, Citizen Review Committee meetings, Hall County Board of Supervisor meetings, and Grand Island Public School Board meetings with “gavel-to-gavel” coverage provided as often as possible.These replay telecasts of public meetings are presented only for the convenience of interested citizens and should not be construed as being official minutes of the meeting.The official minutes of the meetings are available from the respective clerk or secretary of the specific council, board, or commission.
- Government programs created by the City of Grand Island or produced by other local, state, or federal governments or political subdivision thereof.
- Digital Data 180 community bulletin board programming including the dissemination of announcements and information about public events, meetings, recreational and educational opportunities, and community services.
- Educational programming used to gain greater knowledge on a particular topic or as an instructional tool.
- Informational programming or public service announcements used to notify residents of specific community and civic events, programs, and community services available in Grand Island.
- Coverage of governmental events in the local area by elected local, state, and national representatives whose constituencies include the residents served by GITV. GITV may rebroadcast candidate forums for local or state offices in which all candidates have been given the opportunity to participate and when sponsored by a non-partisan and neutral entity which is not affiliated with any candidate or political party; however, programming of this nature will only be rebroadcasted up to 30 days prior to a primary election or up to 60 days prior to a general election.
- Regularly scheduled city council and other government meetings that involve candidates running for re-election or candidates seeking election shall continue to be aired during times of political campaigns.
Programming will exclude:
- Political statements by incumbents, candidates, or citizens.
- Programming or dissemination for support of a particular candidate, controversial policy, program, or issue. State law prohibits the use of public funds to produce, or cause to be produced, programming which takes a position for or against any public issues which will be decided in an election.
- Advertising or announcements by commercial firms soliciting business in any form will not be allowed.
- For-profit commercial material of any type.
- Material which does not meet professional broadcast production standards in quality of picture and sound or technical and editorial execution.
- Any material inappropriate to the mandate, mission, goals, and priorities of Grand Island Television.
- Material that constitutes libel, slander, invasion of privacy, violation of trademark or copyright, or which might violate local, state, or federal FCC laws or regulations.
- Since GITV is a governmental station, rules regarding the separation of powers will be strictly observed therefore no religious programming will be broadcast.